Two Mayo men have been selected on the 2023 Electric Ireland GAA Higher Education Rising Stars Football Team of the Year.
UL’s Jack Coyne (Ballyhaunis) and TU Dublin’s Cian Hanley (Ballaghaderreen) were both picked in defence.
In a season filled with exceptional team and individual performances, UCC took home the Sigerson Cup title after an extra-time defeat of UL at the SETU Waterford Arena. In this year’s Electric Ireland GAA Higher Education Rising Stars 2023 Football Team of the Year, Sigerson Cup Champions, UCC, lead the way with six players included, while beaten finalists UL have five representatives on the team. Beaten semi-finalists DCU DÉ and TU Dublin each have two players represented.
2023 Electric Ireland GAA Higher Education Rising Stars Football Team of the Year
- Dylan Foley – UCC, Éire Óg, Cork
- Páraic Hughes – DCU DÉ, Kilanerin, Wexford
- Daniel O’Mahony – UCC, Knocknagree, Cork
- Jack Coyne – UL, Ballyhaunis, Mayo
- Cian Hanley – TU Dublin, Ballaghaderreen, Mayo
- Darragh Cashman – UL, Millstreet, Cork
- Shane Merritt – UCC, Mallow, Cork
- Bill Carroll – DCU DÉ, Cappincur, Offaly
- Paul Keaney – UL, St Mary’s Kiltoghert, Leitrim
- Emmet Mc Mahon – UL, Kildysart, Clare
- Ruairí Murphy – UCC, Listry, Kerry
- Mark Cronin – UCC, Nemo Rangers, Cork
- Cathail O’Mahony – UCC, Mitchelstown, Cork
- Darragh Campion – TU Dublin, Skryne, Meath
- Ciaran Downes – UL, Kilmihil, Clare
Uachtarán CLG Larry McCarthy said: “We would like to extend our heartiest congratulations to the players recognised in this year’s Electric Ireland GAA Higher Education Rising Stars Football Team of the Year. We have been thrilled by the tremendous football talent that we have seen throughout the season and look forward to celebrating the players’ and teams’ achievements at a formal ceremony later in the year.”
Sarah Sharkey, Group Sponsorship & PR Manager Electric Ireland, commented: “We are delighted to announce the 2023 Electric Ireland GAA Higher Education Rising Stars Football Team of the Year and are looking forward to paying tribute to these players’ performances at the annual Electric Ireland GAA Higher Education Rising Stars Awards Ceremony, taking place next month. It is a huge honour to be able to lend our support to these Higher Education Championships each year, made even more so by the incredible commitment demonstrated by these players and institutions, and we would like to offer our congratulations to the players who have been recognised today.”
This year’s Electric Ireland’s #FirstClassRivals campaign continued to celebrate the unexpected alliances that were formed by County rivals coming together in pursuit of some of the most coveted titles in the GAA.
The Electric Ireland Higher Education GAA Rising Star Hurling and Football Player of the Year being announced at the Higher Education Awards Ceremony on Monday, 3rd April. These awards will acknowledge one outstanding performance from this year’s Fitzgibbon and Sigerson Cup Championships.