Sunday, September 04, 2022

By Keith Bourke

Traffic lights in operation in Breaffy as part of works on the N5 dual carriageway project are causing chaos for residents and motorists.

Independent Cllr Michael Kilcoyne, who is also cathaoirleach of Castlebar Municipal District, said the situation is frustrating and potentially dangerous.

“I have received complaints from people not just from the Breaffy area but from all over the place after they have been held up for ages and ages.

“A woman who lives close by has told me that nobody has been working there for the last week and a half yet the traffic lights are still there with a man standing beside it. This thing has to be sorted out,” said Cllr Michael Kilcoyne.

The temporary lights are in place at the new overpass of the N5 dual carriageway, just outside Castlebar.

Cllr Kilcoyne said he fears the lengthy tailbacks will result in an accident when the road gets even busier in the weeks ahead.

“What’s it going to be like when the schools go back?”

Cllr Kilcoyne wrote to the road contractors, Transport Infrastructure Ireland and Mayo County Council to have the temporary lights removed. However, the council says the lights will remain in place until early to mid-October.

The local authority informed Cllr Kilcoyne that there was no work taking place last week as the contractor was awaiting a water main connection. Once this is completed they will progress with the works.

In its statement to Cllr Kilcoyne, Mayo Co Council said:

“In relation to having the traffic lights removed, if the contractor is not working at this location, and this would be considered a reasonable request in normal circumstances, the reality is that to do so would impact on road safety and so it’s something that the contractor will not be in a position to do. The lights are manned at peak hours and school times will be managed, priority is given to traffic going towards Castlebar in the morning and away from Castlebar in the afternoon/evening.”

Comments are closed.

By Keith Bourke
Contact Newsdesk: +353 96 60900

More Connacht News

Works proposed for Ballina estates

Similar Articles