Saturday, August 06, 2022

Mayo County Council has been told it needs to adopt a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to the registration of derelict properties in the county, writes Paul O’Malley.

Cllr Damien Ryan welcomed a report into derelict sites in the Claremorris/Swinford Municipal District but said more work needs to be done to identify sites outside the town centres.

Currently, 150 derelict sites have been identified in the district with 57 new sites identified since March.

“I would like to acknowledge the work being done in the district but there are some sites on the approach roads that seemed to have escaped the net to date,” Cllr Ryan told a meeting of the municipal council last week. “Zero tolerance needs to be the order of the day. I will nominate them privately but they need to be subject to the same treatment as derelict sites in the town centre.”

The report also found that half of all derelict sites have deteriorated since the previous review was undertaken with issues such as damaged roofs, vegetation growth and other problems emerging.

Cllr Michael Burke said the council needs to continue to utilise compulsory purchase orders (CPO) where necessary to handle the problem. The report showed that four sites, three in Ballinrobe and one in Claremorris, have commenced the CPO process since the last review.

“I welcome the CPOs and proposed levies and valuations carried out to impose upon the owners who neglect their sites. The problem is a blight on our communities and the council has a serious responsibility to put this right,” said Cllr Burke.

Comments are closed.

By Western People
Contact Newsdesk: +353 96 60900

More Connacht News

ALONE is seeking volunteers in Mayo

An unexplained Civil War death in Ballina

Similar Articles

ALONE is seeking volunteers in Mayo

An unexplained Civil War death in Ballina