Mayo sports clubs and organisations are to receive more than €4 million in Sports Capital funding.
Senator Lisa Chambers has announced €230,000 in funding has been provided for a climbing wall facility at the Lough Lannagh sports in complex Sports Capital funding.
“This is significant funding for Castlebar that will see the completion of a state of the art climbing wall facility and changing rooms at the Lough Lannagh complex. It will be the only facility of its kind in Mayo and will be run by the local authority. It is a joint venture with GMIT and will be available to all members of the public and local organisations to avail of,” said Senator Chambers.
She said the project will be “transformative” for Castlebar and Mayo.
“ It is a fantastic addition to the sports offering in Castlebar. It is publicly owned and is a joint project with our college GMIT which is now a campus under the new Atlantic Technological University. This collaboration is very good for Castlebar and for Mayo and will benefit students and the public alike.”
“I would also like to welcome the record funding secured by Mayo sports clubs and organisations. It has been a very successful year for Mayo sports. This money will be used right across the county to improve sports facilities for our children and people. Sport is such an important part of our lives and helps to keep our people healthy and well,” Sen Chambers concluded.
Another marquee announcement is €150,000 for Phase One of a Multi-Sports facility at Belleek. Fianna Fáil TD Dara Calleary welcomed €575,000 being secured for a host of projects in the Ballina Municipal District area as well as projects throughout the county.
I have worked very closely with the various clubs and organisations in Mayo over the course of the past 12 months and I am delighted for all those successful projects today. Minister Jack Chambers and I worked together on ensuring that this funding was forthcoming – funding that will make a huge difference to communities across County Mayo,” said Deputy Calleary.
I want to congratulate each of the successful applicants, thank them for their professionalism in their approach to the process and wish them every success with their respective projects. To those who’s applications were deemed invalid by the Department I will ensure that full feedback is available and assure them of my support going forward,” he added.
Fine Gael’s Alan Dillon also welcomed today’s announcement.
“It is an excellent good news Friday when we see over 60 projects around Mayo which will benefit from this funding of over €4.8million. I had been consistently calling for an increased funding pot to ensure as many organisations as possible. There was a record number of applications for these grants and the government responded with the most significant level of individual awards ever.”