Mayo duo Tommy Conroy and Fionn McDonagh were among the goals as NUI Galway booked their place in the Sigerson Cup quarter-finals after they defeated Queen’s University 3-10 to 2-7 in Whitehall last night.
Westport’s Fionn McDonagh lined out at right-half forward and it only took him two minutes to find the net for the Galway side. The Neale’s Tommy Conroy followed up just six minutes later as he raised a green flag to put Maurice Sheridan’s charges in a commanding position. Conor Turbitt’s 14th minute penalty meant that the Belfast outfit trailed 2-6 to 1-4 at the interval.
A second goal in as many games for Galway captain Seán Kelly was enough to propel NUIG to the quarter-finals, despite a 1-2 salvo from McTurbitt.
NUIG will look ahead to their quarter-final fixture, which is down for decision on January 31, where they will be facing one of the teams to come out of round 3.
NUIG’s team is below (Galway unless stated):
- Conor Carroll (Oranmore-Maree, Roscommon)
- Colin Murray (Mountbellew-Moylough)
- Neil Mulcahy (Moycullen)
- Gavin Burke (Corofin)
- Rory Egan (Edenderry, Offaly)
- Eoghan Kelly (Moycullen)
- Nathan Mullen (Coolaney-Mullinabreena, Sligo)
- Paul Kelly (Moycullen)
- Seán Kelly (Moycullen)
- Fionn McDonagh (Westport, Mayo)
- Matthew Tierney (Oughterard)
- Cathal Donoghue (Kilcormac-Killoughey, Offaly)
- Tomo Culhane (Salthill-Knocknacarra)
- Tommy Conroy (The Neale, Mayo)
- Cathal Sweeney (Salthill-Knocknacarra).
Subs – Tony Gill (Corofin) (on for Donoghue 20), Cian Monaghan (Oughterard) (on for Egan (48), Patrick O’Donnell (Oileáin Árann) (on for McDonagh 50), Rory Monaghan (Oughterard) (on for Mullen 58), Donal Hunt (St Senan’s, Kerry) (on for Culhane 61).
Fionn McDonagh 1-2, Tommy Conroy and Seán Kelly 1-1 each, Matthew Tierney 0-3 (2f), Tomo Culhane 0-1f, Eoghan Kelly and Cormac Donoghue 0-1 each.