Mayo is feeling the effects of Storm Barra already this morning with widespread power outages and numerous reports of trees being knocked down by strong winds.
The power has been out in the Achill area since about 6.30am with an estimated restoration of service around 10.30am.
There is a power outage in the Breaffy area of Ballina with 103 homes affected and crews are working on its repair
It has been reported that trees are down in the following areas:
- Tree down on Cahra Road, Bonniconlon
- Tree down on Kiltimagh-Bohola Road
- Tree down at R331 at Lehinch – MCC Crews en route
- Tree down on L53491 Road Ardhoom, Meelick, Swinford
- There is also reports of a road flooded at Saula, Achill which has been deemed passable with care
- Tree down on the Belcarra to Manulla road, outside Castlebar this morning.
- Trees down on the L1610 at Pollbaun and Thomas Town -> Council crews en route
An orange weather warning is currently in effect for county Mayo.
Met Eireann have said of Storm Barra: “Southeasterly winds, later veering northwesterly will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80 km/h with severe or damaging gusts of 100 to 130 km/h, with localised stronger winds likely, with severe gusts on coasts. Due to a combination of high waves, storm surge and high tide, coastal flooding is expected. Disruption to power and travel are likely.”