Tuesday, September 28, 2021

A 28-year-old woman died at Mayo University Hospital just four hours after giving birth to a baby girl last year.

At an inquest into the death of Nayyab Tariq, 16 The Maples, Ballyhaunis, her husband Ayaz Ul Hassan said he should have been kept informed of his wife’s condition after she was brought to theatre to remove her placenta which had failed to deliver normally, and the entire team should have thought about asking for his whereabouts earlier. He also raised questions over a pool of blood which he said was on the floor beside his wife’s bed in the delivery suite which he was informed medical witnesses would state they did not recall.

The inquest began yesterday (Monday) at Swinford Courthouse and is due to continue for the next two days. Ms Tariq’s family is represented by solicitor Johan Verbruggen of Callan Tansey solicitors while the Health Service Executive is represented by Conor Halpin, Senior Counsel and Padraig Brennan, solicitor.

Ms Tariq died following complications after the birth of her daughter, baby Nayyab on March 22, 2020. Midwife Mary O’Connor said she had worked in the delivery suite at MUH for the past 37 years. During Ms Tariq’s pregnancy she had a history of low blood platelets. She was admitted to delivery suite 4 of the labour ward at 9.50am on March 22. Her labour progressed well throughout the day. The baby’s head delivered at 6.07pm and the witness noted a sudden gush of blood around the neck of the baby.

Ms O’Connor queried a ‘tear’ and instructed that Dr Uzochkwu, Obstetric Registrar be called. Following the delivery of the baby, the witness attempted to deliver the placenta and membranes but was unsuccessful. Witness said Dr Uzochukwu instructed midwives to measure loss of blood at delivery which was found to be 500ml. Ms O’Connor said further attempts were made to deliver the placenta before it was decided to take Ms Tariq to theatre. Until this time, the patient was constantly monitored and the midwife said: “In my opinion she left the delivery suite to go to theatre a well-lady.”

Dr Meabh Ni Bhuinneain, Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist received a call at 8.20pm from theatre 2 from Dr Ike Uzochukwu who stated his patient continued to be clinically unstable following the manual removal of a retained placenta and post partum haemorrhage. Witness said Ms Tariq died after a cardiac arrhythmia arrest which had preceded post partum haemorrhage, retained placenta with bleeding in the abdominal pelvic cavity arising from ectopic deciduosis (abnormal tissue) and shock.

The inquest continues today with 18 witnesses expected to give evidence.

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: +353 96 60900

More Connacht News