Thursday, January 21, 2021

A man accused of burglary who was arrested and brought before Castlebar District Court today (Wednesday) failed to inform gardai he had been due to take a test for Covid-19 this morning.

The accused had been arrested yesterday evening in South Mayo and was detained at Castlebar Garda Station overnight where he was questioned in relation to the offence which is alleged to have occurred on Friday, January 15 last.

He was charged and brought before the court today where evidence of arrest, charge and caution was given.

As a Detective Garda was giving reasons why gardai were objecting to bail, the accused man told the court he had been due to attend for a Covid-19 test at 9.30am this morning, which he failed to attend.

Judge Fiona Lydon requested that gardai check his phone for a text message to confirm he had been booked in for the test. The Detective Garda said this was the first time gardai had heard about the test.

When it was confirmed he was due to have the test, a legal representative noted the accused had Covid-19 symptoms and contacted his GP but failed to attend for the test. She said he was trying to get a booking for another test, hopefully tomorrow morning.

Judge Lydon granted him bail, warning him to inform gardai of the result.

A number of gardai, who were in direct contact with the accused during his arrest and detention will now have to self-isolate until the test results are returned.

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: +353 96 60900
"
Majella Loftus"

More Connacht News

Dispute over Ballina track keeps on running