Tuesday, December 29, 2020

The management of Mayo University Hospital (MUH) has said they are currently managing an outbreak of Covid-19 at the facility. They have also said there are currently two wards closed for new admissions due to a number of confirmed cases of Covid-19.

The latest HSE Daily Operations Update showed a total of 19 positive cases on-site at MUH, as of 8pm last night. The Western People reported earlier today that Cllr Michael Kilcoyne wrote to Saolta Chief Executive Tony Canavan about the outbreak and said it was his understanding that between 10-15 staff had been diagnosed with Covid-19.

In the statement, management also reiterated their current restrictions on visitation, with members of the public advised not to visit the hospital, except on compassionate grounds and these should be arranged in advance with the nurse manager on the ward.

The statement read; “The hospital is following the national public health guidance in relation to the management of suspect cases, confirmed cases and close contacts. Covid-19 testing and contact tracing of both staff and patients has been carried out to ensure the protection of public health. The hospital is directly updating patients and families impacted.”

“It is really important that patients who are attending MUH for an appointment continue to follow all the public health guidance including wearing a face mask. We also remind patients to attend their appointments alone, unless the support of another person is essential.”

“We would also like to remind the public that we encourage them to attend the Emergency Department (ED) only in the case of real emergencies. If your health problem is not an emergency you should contact your GP during normal surgery hours or the Westdoc GP out of hours service, in the first instance,” the statement concluded.

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: +353 96 60900

More Connacht News

Belmullet priest relives his Covid agony