There have been 364 additional Covid-19 cases recorded in the Republic of Ireland today, with no further deaths.
There has now been a total of 1,810 Covid-19 related deaths, and 38,032 confirmed cases, in Ireland.
Of today’s cases, 100 are in Dublin but Connacht counties combined have almost 60. 23 are reported in Galway, 14 in Sligo, 13 in Roscommon and five in Mayo.
55 additional cases have been recorded in Cork, 31 in Donegal, 24 in Limerick, 17 in Clare, 10 in Kerry, eight in Tipperary, eight in Wicklow, seven in Kildare, six in Kilkenny, six in Offaly, five in Cavan, five in Meath, with the remaining 27 cases in nine counties.
- 195 are men/168 are women
- 74 per cent are under 45 years of age
- 27 per cent are confirmed to be associated with outbreaks or are close contacts of a confirmed case
- 42 cases have been identified as community transmission
The National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) met for a previously unscheduled meeting on Sunday due to concerns over the rising Covid-19 numbers.
Government sources told The Irish Times that the meeting, believed to be the first weekend NPHET meeting, was called due to concerns over rising infection numbers and the number of people in hospital with Covid-19.
One source said there was unlikely to be any immediate action arising from the meeting, however, a second source told The Irish Times: “I think we are in difficulty. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see early moves.”
The meeting has been chaired by acting chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan after he returned to his post after taking a period of leave for personal reasons.
According to HSE figures, there were 132 Covid-19 cases in hospital at 8pm on Saturday evening, 20 of these are in intensive care.