Thursday, July 09, 2020

A Mayo TD has welcomed the falling number of Pandemic Unemployment Payment (PUP) recipients in Mayo.

Some 1800 people in Mayo have closed their claim for the PUP since last week, Fine Gael Deputy Alan Dillon has said.

Deputy Dillon said that while many people in Mayo are still facing huge challenges as the economy reopens, it is encouraging to see the numbers relying on State aid reducing.

“I am acutely aware of the continuing challenges faced by so many families and individuals here in Mayo and all over the country as a result of Covid-19. We are dealing with unprecedented circumstances and the PUP will continue to be available to those who need it. It is encouraging to see the numbers returning to work since the economy opened up further last week. This represents the highest number to return to work in a single week nationally since the crisis began,” said the Castlebar TD.

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: +353 96 60900

More Connacht News

Similar Articles

If you go down to the woods today…

Golf clubs see green shoots in the pandemic