Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Graveyards in Mayo remain open to the public with reports of closures elsewhere in the country.

The Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan reminded the public yesterday that visiting cemeteries is not an “exceptional” reason for people to leave their homes during the Covid-19 crisis.

Restrictions habe been put in place at some graveyards in the North but many there have since reopened amid public clamour to do so.

Mayo County Council said there has been been no cause to close graveyards in the county.

A spokesperson for the local authority said ‘no issues have arisen’ in relation to breaches of government guildelines at graveyards in Mayo. However, the council has urged people not to visit the graves of their loved ones if they live a distance of more than 2km away.

Earlier this month, Mayo County Council closed public car parks at all beaches in the county and at Croagh Patrick. Last week, the council closed the car park at popular Castlebar beauty spot Lough Lannagh in order to ensure adherance to social distancing measures.

Dr Holohan said yesterday that cemeteries are not currently on the list of exceptional places where people may go under current government guidelines.

We have public health advice here in relation to what are appropriate and recommended activities. We try to limit those activities in as much as we possibly can,” he said.

Dr Holohan also said that if the National Public Health Emeregency Team (NPHET) was in a position to make any change to its guidance on visiting cemeteries, the team would make that clear towards the end of this week. However, he added that it would not currently do so.

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: +353 96 60900

More Connacht News