Monday, September 02, 2019

Castlebar aims to ‘pull’ in the crowds this week as Breaffy House hosts an international tug-of-war tournament.

The 2019 European Senior and World U23 and Junior Outdoor Tug of War Championships will be staged at the hotel resort between September 5 and 8. The event will see 1600 competitors from more than 20 countries take part.

Castlebar will be extending a warm welcome to the participants with Mayo County Council holding a civic welcome for the captains of each team tomorrow (Tuesday).

Each pub in the town will adopt a country for the tournament and their premises will be festooned in the national colours of their selected nation. There will also be a music trail to entertain visitors.

“It’s going to be great for the town and promises to be a real boost,” said Castlebar Chamber of Commerce President, John Mulroy.

“There are going to buses bringing people into town from Breaffy every day and we are going to make sure they all get a big Castlebar welcome,” John added.

Breaffy House previously hosted the 2014 World Indoor Tug of War Championships.

“This event is not only a win for ‘Destination Breaffy’ but it is also a win for the wider economy as the contest attracts over 1,000 athletes from 22 counties all over Europe and the world, including the USA, Thailand, Taipei, Sierra Leone, and South Africa. It confirms yet again the aphorism, ‘ A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats,’ and I am personally delighted that Destination Breaffy is the catalyst in driving this success for the local economy,” said Wilson Bird, General Manager for Breaffy House Resort.

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: +353 96 60900

More Connacht News

Ballina fire sees traffic diverted

Belmullet IWA houses shortlisted for award