Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Owen MaughanThe widow of a Castlebar man shot dead in a suspected Traveller feud made an emotional TV appeal for information on her husband’s killers.

Anne Maughan told RTE’s Crimecall that she cannot accept that the love of her life is gone.

On December 18 last year Owen Maughan was shot in the forecourt of a service station in Moneen, close to a campsite where his family live. The 29-year old was filling up a water tank at 3.30pm when a car approached and a gunman shot him in the back. The car, believed to be a dark-coloured BMW estate, sped off in the Claremorris direction.

Customers in the service station came to his aid and Mr Maughan was rushed to Mayo General Hospital but he died from his injuries five hours later. He is the third member of his family to be targeted by gunmen, His younger brother Jack was shot twice in an attack at the same Top Oil Service station in January 2012.

“He was the love of my life – he still is the love of my live. To know that the person that you loved, that you cannot see them no more – until the day God takes me himself. And he was my life. Owen actually was my life. He still is my life,” said Ann

Anne had spoken with her husband just moments before he was gunned down.

“And then he said to me, ‘Anne I’m just going down to the shop to fill the cans with water and I’ll be back in a few minutes’. I had the food on and there was no sign of Owen coming back so I rang his phone and his phone was ringing out. So my brother-in-law went down to the garage because obviously they thought something was wrong. And they saw Owen on the ground and they came back and told me Owen had been shot. I didn’t believe it. When I got to the hospital then I went into the A&E and I just saw him lying on the bed and I just tried to talk to him,” said his grieving wife.

“You know, I cannot accept he is dead. He was never involved in anything that went on but still to be taken from me – just goes to show, how it was brutal,” she added,

In a heartfelt appeal Anne has begged anyone with information about the murder to come forward.

“In my heart I do think people know who did this. And I would just love it if someone could come forward with any information.

“Because the people who done this to my husband, they not only took my husband, they took my best friend in a matter of minutes. They need to be convicted for this brutal, cold-blooded murder,” she said.

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: +353 96 60900

More Connacht News

Ballina fire sees traffic diverted

Belmullet IWA houses shortlisted for award